Mmmm have I got something sweet & savory for you today.
This may be my favorite recipe to date! I love a good balsamic glaze, and it pairs perfectly with the sweet red bell peppers, roma tomatoes, and creamy tofu “cheese” on this lasagna. There’s even some hidden spinach in there.
If you love sweet & tangy, this is the recipe for you.
I can’t wait any longer! Let’s start cooking.
- 1 package brown rice lasagna sheets
- 1/2 recipe Easy Balsamic Glaze (1/2 cup balsamic vinegar + 1/8 cup date sugar or sub brown sugar)
- For the marinara:
- 2 15-oz. cans crushed roma tomatoes
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- Handful of fresh spinach leaves
- 1/2 white onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp date sugar (sub brown sugar if no date sugar)
- pinch of each dry spice – sea salt, basil, oregano, parsley
- For the tofu cream sauce:
- 1 14-oz. block soft tofu
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
- 1/3 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried parsley
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- To prepare the Easy Balsamic Glaze sauce:
- In a small pot, mix 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar and 1/8 cup date sugar.
- Whisk any sugar clumps out and let simmer until liquid thickens slightly.
- Remove from heat.
- To prepare the marinara sauce:
- In a large pot, saute diced onion, bell pepper, and garlic in water until fragrant and tender (5-7 minutes).
- To the same pot, add crushed tomatoes, fresh spinach, date sugar, and spices.
- Reduce heat to low and let simmer for 5 minutes
- To prepare the tofu cream sauce:
- Blend all of the ingredients on high until smooth.
- Assemble the lasagna.
- Start with a thin layer of marinara sauce.
- Next, make one layer of lasagna sheets.
- Follow that with a layer of marinara, then tofu cream sauce, then drizzle balsamic glaze.
- Repeat again starting with lasagna sheets, until there is no more pasta left in the box.
- Top with what’s left of the marinara and tofu cream sauce. Drizzle with balsamic glaze to finish.
- Bake for 50 minutes with foil covering baking dish. Remove foil and bake 10 more minutes.
- Let cool slightly then serve. Store in refrigerator up to 1 week.