I have to start off by letting you know that this is not your mother’s banana bread.
This bread is spiced with cardamom, sweetened without refined sugar (just bananas and dates!), and uses only 100% whole grain flour. Aka, it’s a dense little loaf! Don’t be expecting a light & fluffy banana bread.
It’s perfect for breakfast, because just one slice will satisfy you because of its density & the whole food fibers. But, with no oil, no processed ingredients, no added sugar, and no dairy, it’s perfectly healthy & wholesome.
Whenever I bake, I try to stick to only 100% whole grain flour whenever possible. Some bakes just need a white flour or all-purpose flour to become what they’re meant to be, but I think whole grain flour works perfect for this loaf.
- 3 cups 100% whole grain flour
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/2 cup canned coconut milk (full fat preferred but reduced fat works OK)
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1-1/2 tsp ground cardamom
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 2 flax eggs (see instructions)
- 1/2 cup dates, pitted & chopped
- 1 cup raw walnuts, chopped
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Dash of salt
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Make 2 flax eggs by mixing 2 tbsp ground flax meal with 6 tbsp lukewarm water. Let sit until it thickens. You can add this in last.
- Mix together dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- To the dry ingredients, add coconut milk, mashed banana purée, and flax eggs.
- Finally, mix in the chopped dates and walnuts, saving some walnuts for topping the loaf.
- Bake for 55-60 minutes in a parchment lined* loaf plan. Let cool then serve.
*Learn from my mistakes. Use parchment paper if you don’t want your loaf super stuck to the pan!