Today I have a simple recipe that has the superpower ability to take a good dish to a fantastic dish. It’s a cashew based crema sauce with a kick. What’s the special kick? Chipotle pepper!
Chipotle pepper is my absolute favorite spicy spice. I don’t like a ton of spice usually, but I’ll take all the chipotle. It has a smoky & bold flavor that just takes any sauce to the next level.
The idea for this sauce came from one of Houston & I’d favorite plant based breakfast spots in OKC – The Red Cup. They have a breakfast burrito full of tofu scramble & veggies and topped with salsa & a cashew based crema sauce.
I make tofu scramble burritos all of the time at home, so I decided to experiment with my own crema sauce! We also love chipotle in our house, so I had to add it in.
This sauce is perfect for…
Drizzling on avocado toast
Topping burritos, nachos & tacos
Adding to burgers
Dipping French fries in
…and anything else you can come up with!
Alright, let’s get started.
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 1/2 cup unsweetened plant based milk (I used soy)
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
- 1/2 tsp chipotle pepper powder
- 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- Sea Salt to taste
- Add all ingredients to a blender and blend on high for 1 minute or until smooth.
- Use immediately or store in airtight container, refrigerated, for up to 4 days.